Here are two photos of the pieces I'm currently working on:
These are chicken vertebrae, from a chicken I made into soup last weekend.
I love them, but at the moment I don't know where they're going. I initially thought they would go with the piece in the next photo, but after today I think they're a completely different piece. My current gut feeling is that are too literal in this form, but I need to live with them for a while before I can be sure.
This second piece is smaller than the previous sphere - only 10" across. I suspended the bird inside the sphere, because I need to see the idea completed. Although it's fairly easy to find the bird when looking at the piece, it's hard to see in this photo, so click on the image to see the bird.
Having now seen the nest in this smaller, completely spherical form, I'm 90% certain that the finished piece is actually the larger, incomplete shape. This version feels too small, and completing the sphere seems to deaden the form.
However, I have made technical progress with the materials. These stems were soaked in liquid medium mixed 1:1 with water, so they're fairly strong, and the 5-minute epoxy bonded them well. I believe that the next step, when I have enough new stems, is to rebuild the larger, un-closed sphere, as the original just fell apart completely.
I'm also working on something new with the coffee filters, but it's not yet ready to be photographed.