Saturday, September 20, 2008
Dragon Bones - done?
Well, it didn't turn out the way I'd planned - the acrylic dried with a lot of cracking.
(The cracking reminds me a bit of the shattered panes of that glass that Urban Outfitters stores used in the front windows of their stores when I was a kid. Only this is emotional, instead of 'hip and cool'. )
At first I was worried that I'd veered too far off my target, but I got good feedback from the 2 people I showed the book to today. I asked them to give me their immediate emotional impressions, and their reactions fit well enough with what I'm going for - a sense of chaos in a controlled world - that all may not be lost.
So I think I'm going to keep the book just like this - really simple. I have one other person I have to show it to - Stan, who I know from work. He's read the book, so his sense of whether or not this visual fits will be the deciding factor, I think.
In terms of readability, the prologue is still open, as is the last chapter. I lost the 'Dragon Bones' page after the prologue due to deciding to cover up the acrylic spill over, but I think that's fine, since I've still got the main title page.
I suspect that moving the acrylic after it had started to set is what caused the cracking. Also, I need to take more photos, in better light. But my husband was asleep on the couch (which is almost next to my work bench), and I didn't want to wake him up with the maximum blazing wattage of all my lights.