Friday, February 22, 2008

Potatoes and Acrylic Resin

Water For Elephants, with dried potatoes (that sounds weird, but that's what it is):
I dipped the potato pieces in acrylic resin, then after I'd laid them into the cavity I poured about 1/4" of resin in, to solidify everything. I've been thinking about working with resin for a while, but I'm not sure I'm completely happy with it in this application. On the one hand, it's a relatively good material for archival purposes. And I like the look if it between the potatoes because of its slightly amber color being like whiskey, and there is a theme of drinking and prohibition through the book. But I'm not sure I like the potatoes being all shiny. They've lost their earthiness, I think.

So I got a lot of work done yesterday. But I was rushing, and I didn't think through my process enough, and it didn't occur to me to protect the parts of the book that I didn't want to get resin on. So now I've got spots of resin all over the facing page, and I'm not sure what to do about it. One solution would be to paint the entire facing page with resin, but that will make it transparent, and eventually so hard that the page may not turn. Not a chance I'm eager to take, but given that I may have messed this one up already, I may as well try it. If I totally ruin the book, I can always wait until another copy gets abused and weeded, and build it again.

No comments: